Thursday, November 4, 2010

Recession of 80's and this one - compare

Most people of my age -64- will probably look at you and say "No I don't remember it - that recession in the eighties.  I was working".   Me too.  I just thought I was in trouble myself. 

I created my own recession by leaving a steady job then and starting my own business.  My brother and I opened a vegetarian restaurant, probably the first in Dublin, in 1982.  How crazy was that?  Well, hindsight is of course a marvellous thing and suffice it to say that, for a while,  it looked successful on the outside.  Inside we were in the RED within months.

In the middle of all this, I had a baby girl, and so the whole thing folded.  My brother emigrated.  I became a single mother on welfare.  That's what I knew of that recession.  It was mine alone.  Stoney broke, jobless and pushing a buggy around the neighbourhood,

But we got going again, and here we are, nearly thirty years later.  That baby is now a doctor in Oxford.  My brother is back in Ireland with a small and successful business and I own two apartments, which I am hoping will continue to have tenants.  So we got back on our feet.  Even got good shoes for those feet, and did quite a bit of dancing on them too.   Good times came again, and mixed in with life's usual worries and fears, we had a lot of challenge and excitement to fill our memory banks.

And now it's back.  Recession.  Only this time, we know all about it.  We are all experts on economics, we can rattle off phrases like 'senior bond holders'  and 'dilution of share values' with the best of them.  We rant at the big gamblers in our banks and watch The News and Prime Time like addicts.  We have theories and solutions a plenty, which we add to every day as the dreaded Budget Day approaches.  But somehow, from our experiences, we instinctively know that it will all 'be all right'.  The only differences this time is that perhaps, we, in our sixties and seventies, can't count on the time that might take.

2 comments:

  1. Its true that things work in cycles. This will pass and then we get into another Celtic - maybe lion next time - Tiger era. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did really well, Fionnuala. I suppose it proves that people survive all kinds of upheavels. You can look back so easily on the past thirty years - I wonder what 2040 will be like and what will we/they be saying about 2010!

    ReplyDelete